1 Computer for all your AVIONICS in the cockpit

A how-to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task (Wikipedia)
Air Canada

Postby Air Canada » 11 Jan 2012, 07:02

hi ..
just a suggestion that might help someone if they are in a situation like I was in ..

like most of us, I was using 4 computers each with 2 video ooutputs.
1 Computer for Captain and F/O PFD/ND
1 Compuer Top and Bottom EIAS
1 Computer CDU and Prosim A.F.A.S or Captain & F/O CDU's (I only have 1 FDS CDU at the moment)
1 Computer for FSX

running all these computers for the cockpit means not only a nice hydro bill but also the heat that these machines produce, the fan noises and #' of keyboards, mouse's amd of course the biggest part the space to put all these computers behind the MIP and the cost of buying al these computer ..
Then I total'd the WATTS my cockpit was using and how much hydro it was pulling.. and it was around 1200 to 1300 Watts of power (thats with everything
running including backlighting )...

So, I though of running all the avionics (PFD/ND/CDU/AFAS/ECIAS) all from 1 computer.
So I got myself a Q6600 cpu ($80) with a Nforce 680i motherboard ($80) with 3 PCI-Express slots.
Got myself 3 x Gforce 8400GT 1GB video card for $30 each ($90 total for 3 card)
The RAM, Case, Hard Drive, DVD, I used from my existing machine. Even if I had to buy them still they are only a few buck..

And again, these 3 video cards even though they are exactly the same, they are not running in SLI mode.. They are just running as normal
monitor outputs.. So all you need is 3 PCI-Express video card... all don't have to be the same brand and memory...

Put all the 3 video card in the MB and installed windows 7 and all 6 video outputs available ..

Plugged all the monitors in this 1 computer and put this avionics computer besides the FSX computer.
Installed all the software (Prosim/FDS CDU Drivers/FS Commander 9 etc) and configured everything..

Result, everything working off 1 computer and of course fsx is on it's only delicated computer..
Even with all these running on the client computer I never see the excess data msg on the ND screen or any slow downs from any of the
softwares running on this computer.

So, now I have only 2 computers in the cockpit as compared to 4 I had before.

Now I check my Watts usage with the meter and total power being used in the computer is 700 Watts or less.. (thats with everything running including
backlighting)
Now my room is also much much more cooler than before and in the summer it's going to be way better than before too.

Plus only 2 keyboards in the whole cockpit and no cluttering of wires and cables and plus I purchases 2 mini PAZZport size wreless keyboard with a touch mouse pad like you find in the laptops.. So, they sit perfectly on my pedestral where I have the blank panels.

So, just though I'd share this for some people lke myself that have limited space in their sim room and don't want to over crowd the
cockpit area incase we need to move around the outside of the cockpit...

I will try to post some pictures if the board allows me to upload them..

thanks.

A/C

archen

Re: 1 Computer for all your AVIONICS in the cockpit

Postby archen » 11 Jan 2012, 07:17

Great post AC. Thanks a lot.. Will have this in mind when I'm about to install all computers!

/Anders
Project website: http://www.helinare.nu
--------------
http://www.anderssimparts.com
Manufacturing and selling Engine Starterswitches, n1/SPD ref switches, autobrake, IRS mode selectors and more.
--------------

Wildcat02

Postby Wildcat02 » 11 Jan 2012, 09:49

A/C

Very interesting information that will come handy in the future.

Thanks

pvc0056

Postby pvc0056 » 11 Jan 2012, 12:28

Thank you very much for the info, do you have some pictures?
Diego Sarmiento.
Image ImageImage

frazer

Postby frazer » 11 Jan 2012, 12:36

Thanks for the advice, I posted a question about exactly this somewhere else on the forum so now I've got my answer :)

One last thing that I guess would determine the performance of the different prosim modules (especially ProsimDisplays) is the network performance. I'm thinking about installing yet another NIC with gigabit compability and have a separate computer-to-computer network between the computer running FS and Prosim?

dvincent

Postby dvincent » 11 Jan 2012, 19:53

Interesting posting. :)
Regards,
Dirk

frazer

Postby frazer » 12 Jan 2012, 00:07

I have a computer with the follow specs:
i5 2500K (3,3ghz)
4gb PC12800 RAM
Asus Geforce ENGT520 1gb

If I would add another graphic-card of the same model (it has 1xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xVGA, I guess I can use all three?) would that work for 2*ProsimDisplay, 2*ProsimCDU and 1*Prosim737?

niphonw

Postby niphonw » 12 Jan 2012, 01:23

Very interesting idea but may I ask some question. By setting the system like this, can I run Prosim-Display and Prosim-CDU in full screen mode in the same time on the same computer??

pvc0056

Postby pvc0056 » 12 Jan 2012, 01:34

Yes you can run full screen on different monitors.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.862838,-74.034692
Diego Sarmiento.
Image ImageImage

Air Canada

Postby Air Canada » 12 Jan 2012, 08:45

frazer wrote:I have a computer with the follow specs:
i5 2500K (3,3ghz)
4gb PC12800 RAM
Asus Geforce ENGT520 1gb

If I would add another graphic-card of the same model (it has 1xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xVGA, I guess I can use all three?) would that work for 2*ProsimDisplay, 2*ProsimCDU and 1*Prosim737?

hi daniel..
I'm not sure about the HDMI port as I couldn't get the HDMI port to show up in windows. but I think it is possible cause I just put another video card which is a PCI only card (and not pci express) which has 1xDVI, 1xVGA and 1xS-video... So 3 ouputs more showed up besides the 6 outputs I already had from the 3 pci express cards .. So, now I got 9 video outputs including the S-Video output working .. But I didn't need those extra 3 outputs but just wanted to test that pci card out since I had it ..

I ran 6 prosim display copies on six monitors, prosim cdu on the fds cdu, fs commander 9 on another monitor, and prosim afas on another monitor... So all together 9 monitors running on a single PC with a 600 Watts power supply .. With 4 video cards running on this system, I cheked my meter and saw max this computer was pulling was maybe around 300 watts of power .. Pretty good for when it comes to running 9 video outs ... and of course no lags or slow downs or stutter, or any thing like that .... All software running on all 9 monitors very smooth and perfect ..

So, if I get the HDMI ports to work then ching ching!!! another 3 video ports available .. So, then I don't even need to stick my pci video card in there for more outputs .. but at least I know with the pci card in there, everything works excellent also.. I guess because the system is a quad core and running at 2.4 ghz maybe thats why everything is running so smooth.. Maybe a dual core might not be able to handle all these programs running at one time... The system is not even over clocked ... but I'm happy with the results.. Have lots of room now to move around the cockpit considering the room is small tooo ..
A/C

Return to “ProSim737 - How-tos”