open cockpits CDU

open cockpits CDU

Postby larrylynx » 08 Jun 2011, 12:33

Hi

I have an Open Cockpits CDU and would like to power the EXEC led using my Phidgets LED card.

Does anyone know if its possible for Prosim to do this. I have looked at all the annunciators available to prosim but can find none concerning the CDU

Steve
larrylynx

Re: open cockpits CDU

Postby frazer » 08 Jun 2011, 12:49

larrylynx wrote:I have an Open Cockpits CDU and would like to power the EXEC led using my Phidgets LED card.

Does your OC-CDU have a EXEC LED? :shock:
I have one that looks like this and I'm very sorry that there isn't any EXEC light :cry:
frazer

Postby larrylynx » 08 Jun 2011, 12:55

Hi
good question as I've not looked but will do.

according to the open cockpits manual it should be fitted.

Steve
larrylynx

Postby belgianguy » 08 Jun 2011, 13:14

It is in there, I know for sure.
The problem is to find the wire to light it up.
I once experimented to find the led, but I used the wrong voltage :oops: and blew up the led hahaha.

But it is in there. :)
Even the other leds should be in there.

Update

Since the question was asked and until now I never connected the lights, I did some research on my both OC CDU's.
Looks like it could be possible that there isn't a EXEC light in the CDU.

In one CDU there was a missing EXEC light and in my other CDU it was mounted in the wrong direction so it could never light up. The light is also positioned underneath the black fake BRT button so when it lights up, the word BRT lights up but not the EXEC button. Since the BRT knob is fake, I made a little hole in it and mounted the EXEC led in the knob because there was no other way to really light up the exec button.

In the documentation, there is a drawing of how to connect the lights but it's not very clear where you need to make the connection. Is it a drawing of the connector on the USB-Key card, or is it the connector on the main board where the keys are mounted???

I will post later today or tomorrow a picture with the points where you can connect the wires to light the LED's.

In case there are some LED's missing, then you need to dismantel the device but I promisse you that it's best to do it on a moment that you're not stressed, since all the buttons will fall out and it's a nice job to put them all inside again and make them fit well. :mrgreen:
Best Regards,
Gert
belgianguy

Postby belgianguy » 10 Jun 2011, 21:25

Hi,

As I promissed before, here some pictures where to find the lights in the Opencockpits CDU and how to find the right connections.
Resistors are already mounted in series with the LED's.

Gert.
Attachments
connections.jpg
exec-led.jpg
led-locations.jpg
Best Regards,
Gert
belgianguy

Postby larrylynx » 10 Jun 2011, 22:44

HI

After 2 days away at a funeral I finaly dis-mantled my CDU

I Agree with everything said and yes I spent some time trying to get all the buttons back in place and i second the idea not to do it when your feeling stressed. :shock:

My CDU also came without the EXEC led fitted. I used the existing holes and inserted a 3MM LED into the circuit board. I removed the EXEC LED mounted resistor and isolated the earth track. This was necessary as the Phigets LED64 card require a separate earth for each LED and the Open Cockpits CDU circuit board uses a common earth.

I believe that Marty, god bless his little cotton socks, may have included the option to drive the LED's from the Prosim CDU in the latest pre release though I am yet to confirm this but will connect everything up tomorrow to check this out.

Steve
larrylynx

Postby frazer » 10 Jun 2011, 23:37

Feeling a bit stupid here, but I really can't find the physical place where the EXEC light is.
Look at this picture:

Comparing to the FDS CDU, which has a EXEC light fitted as you see just above the EXEC-button:
frazer

Postby belgianguy » 11 Jun 2011, 07:03

You are right and don't have to feel stupid ;) . From the outside you can't see the led.
It is placed underneath the panel between the EXEC button and the black fake BRT button.
The result is that not the EXEC button lights up, but the word BRT.

That is why I made a little hole in that fake button and installed a led in it.
It was the only way to make it more visible. It would have been better that they made it like most other CDU of other branches.
Best Regards,
Gert
belgianguy

Postby larrylynx » 11 Jun 2011, 07:50

HI

Just to add to what Belgianguy reported.

I didn't drill any holes in the fake button but lightly sanded the top of it to allow the light from the PCB mounted LED to shine through. Great for us old timers with dodgy eyes as it makes a VERY BIG LIGHT that even I can't miss :geek:

Steve

Just need to get prosim to make it light up and I'll be a happy bunny
larrylynx

Postby larrylynx » 11 Jun 2011, 13:20

HI

Quick update.

I have been unable to assign the EXEC light using Prosim, so if anyone has any ideas.

Not really sure what the new " allow LED Keys " option does in Prosim CDU config screen

Steve
larrylynx

Next

Return to General discussion